Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
* Because anesthetic medications cause prolonged drowsiness, you MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult to drive you to the office and stay while you are having your surgery. That adult will then drive you home and stay with you until you are recovered sufficiently to care for yourself.
* You must have a completely empty stomach. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR EIGHT (8) HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR ANESTHETIC. TO DO OTHERWISE MAY BE LIFE-THREATENING!
Exception: You may take your usual morning pills using only a small sip of water no later than 2 hours prior to surgery. (example: If your appointment to be put to sleep is at 10 AM, you can take your medications with a small sip of water up to 8 AM. You cannot eat or drink anything, including water or pills, between 8 and 10 AM)
* Please take your medications as usual the day before the surgery.
* We strongly recommend you do not smoke the 2 weeks prior to surgery, especially
the 24 hours before surgery.
* Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the
elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
* Please Call us prior to surgery if you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin, Aspirin, or Plavix. These medications may require a special arrangement.
* Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
* If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please
notify the office.