Oral Surgery Consultations in McLean VA
What to Expect From Your First Visit
Your initial appointment will consist of a Consultation, explaining your diagnosis and treatment options. We always recommend you have a consultation first, especially for more complex treatments or if you have a complex medical history. Alternatively, surgery can be performed on the first visit, whether under local anesthesia or general anesthesia, as long as TruForm Registration has been filled out online prior to your appointment. Please call us at our McLean office if you have any questions: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
Here are examples of when a separate consultation visit is very IMPORTANT:
Complex medical history, Wisdom Teeth Removal, Dental Implants, Complex Bone Grafting, or if you are taking Coumadin.
Here are examples of when a separate consultation visit may NOT be necessary:
Simple Dental Extractions, Dental Extractions needing simultaneous simple Bone Grafting
Types of First Visits
Here are the things that need to be kept in mind, depending on the type of visit:
Please use the menu below to see what type of first visit applies to you.
- Please fill out the TruForm Registration form on-line before you come in as this saves you time when you come in.
- Please bring your referral slip and any x-rays you may have with you (unless your doctor submitted this referral slip and sent x-rays on-line).
- Please bring a list of medications you are presently taking.
- Bring both your Dental and Medical Insurance card/information with you, regardless of what you are having done. This will save time and allow us to help you process any claims.
- Patients under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Consultation and Surgery under Local Anesthesia (does NOT apply if you are being put to sleep):
- Please DO NOT STOP Coumadin, Aspirin, or Plavix. Please call us in advance if you are taking any of these medications, as these may require special arrangements.
- Please take all your medications as usual, including the day of the surgery. Specifically, don’t forget to take your blood pressure, diabetes, and other medications.
- Please eat all your meals as usual. A good breakfast or lunch before surgery is helpful for all patients to heal after surgery.
- Eating a good meal before surgery is even more important for diabetics who have taken their diabetes medications. This ensures that the blood sugar level is not too low and therefore avoids complications such as syncope (passing out).
- Ask us in advance about the prescriptions that can be filled prior to your visit: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
Consultation and Surgery under General Anesthesia (being put to sleep):
This is rare, as most of these require a consultation first. If you think you are a candidate for consultation and surgery under general anesthesia at the same time, please call us at our McLean office and find out: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
- IT IS VITAL THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR EIGHT (8) HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR ANESTHETIC. TO DO OTHERWISE MAY BE LIFE-THREATENING! Exception: Medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc., can be taken using only a small sip of water no later than 2 hours prior to surgery. Example: If your appointment to be put to sleep is at 10 AM, you can take your medications with a small sip of water up to 8 AM. You cannot eat or drink anything, including water or pills, between 8 and 10 AM.
- Because anesthetic medications cause prolonged drowsiness, you MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult to drive you to the office and stay while you are having your surgery. That adult will then drive you home and stay with you until you are recovered sufficiently to care for yourself. This may be up to 24 hours.
- During the recovery time (up to 24 hours), you should not drive, operate complicated machinery or devices, or make important decisions such as signing documents, etc.