After Wisdom Tooth Removal
Please read instructions below to prepare and recover from for wisdom teeth removal at Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery. Please call our McLean office if you have any questions: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
The swelling that is normally expected is usually proportional to the surgery involved. Swelling around the mouth, cheeks, eyes, and sides of the face is not uncommon. This is the body’s normal reaction to surgery and eventual repair.
The swelling will not become apparent until the day following surgery and will not reach its maximum until 2-3 days post-operatively. However, the swelling may be minimized by the immediate use of ice packs. Two baggies filled with ice or ice packs should be applied to the sides of the face where surgery was performed. The ice packs should be left on continuously while you are awake. After 24 hours, ice has no beneficial effect.
If swelling or jaw stiffness has persisted for several days, there is no cause for alarm. This is a normal reaction to surgery. Twenty-four hours following surgery, the application of moist heat to the sides of the face is beneficial in reducing the size of the swelling.
During the first 3-4 days after surgery, it is completely normal to have one side be more swollen than the other side. This is despite having generally the same type of surgery on both sides.
- If numbness of the lip, chin, or tongue occurs, there is no cause for alarm. As stated before surgery, this is usually temporary in nature. You should be aware that if your lip or tongue is numb, you could bite it and not feel the sensation, so be careful. Call Dr. Ali or Dr. Nokkeo if you still have numbness the day after surgery: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
- Slight elevation of temperature immediately following surgery is not uncommon. If the temperature persists, notify the office: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
- You should be careful going from the lying down position to standing. You were not able to eat or drink prior to surgery. It was also difficult to take fluids. Taking pain medications can make you dizzy. You could get light-headed when you stand up suddenly. Before standing up, you should sit for one minute then get up.
- Occasionally, patients may feel hard projections in the mouth with their tongue. They are not roots, they are the bony walls which supported the tooth. These projections usually smooth out spontaneously. If not, they can be removed by Dr. Ali or Dr. Nokkeo.
- If the corners of your mouth are stretched, they may dry out and crack. Your lips should be kept moist with an ointment such as vaseline.
- Sore throats and pain when swallowing are not uncommon. The muscles get swollen. The normal act of swallowing can then become painful. This will subside in 2-3 days.
- Stiffness (Trismus) of the jaw muscles may cause difficulty in opening your mouth for a few days following surgery. This is a normal post-operative event that will resolve in time.
We're Here to Help
Call our office in McLean, VA at Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889 to learn more about our surgical procedures and before & after instructions from our exceptional Oral Surgery Team.
Sutures are placed the area of surgery to minimize post-operative bleeding and to help healing. Sometimes they become dislodged, this is no cause for alarm. Just remove the suture form your mouth and discard it. The sutures will be removed approximately one week after surgery. The removal of sutures requires no anesthesia or needles. It takes only a minute or so, and there is no discomfort associated with this procedure. So it’s really nothing to worry about.
The pain and swelling should subside more and more each day following surgery. If your post-operative pain or swelling worsens or unusual symptoms occur call our McLean office for instructions: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
There will be a cavity where the tooth was removed. The cavity will gradually over the next month fill in with the new tissue. In the meantime, the area should be kept clean especially after meals with salt water rinses or a toothbrush.
Your case is individual, no two mouths are alike. Do not accept well-intended advice from friends. Discuss your problem with the persons best able to effectively help you: Dr. Ali and Dr. Nokkeo or your family dentist.
Brushing your teeth is okay — just be gentle at the surgical sites.
A dry socket is when the blood clot gets dislodged prematurely from the tooth socket. Symptoms of pain at the surgical site and even pain to the ear may occur 2-3 days following surgery. Call the office if this occurs: Integrative Oral & Facial Surgery in McLean VA Phone Number 703-388-2889.
If you are involved in regular exercise, be aware that your normal nourishment intake is reduced. Exercise may weaken you. If you get light-headed, stop exercising.